Saturday, February 15, 2020

Surfing

We've lived in Panama for 10 years and I've never been surfing. Age 46 felt a bit too late to try. But one of the main components of this retreat is surfing. Just as in New Zealand the retreat was hiking in incredible mountains, here the complement of the yoga was surfing in amazing ocean - in gentle waves just perfect for beginners. They started with a dry land class in the yoga shala, teaching us how to move onto the board, how to fluidly move into standing, how to push faster, how to slow down. We practiced until the movements became fluid.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1ccKLr43dtm3dBa78wCNWyg25pc5mcGdT

And so I tried it! Playa Guanico. About 30 minutes from Cambutal. Low tide. We stayed entirely in the white wash - the part of the ocean where the large waves had already broken and were still steadily moving forward, but losing power as they came.




And it worked! I stood up! Multiple times! I actually surfed!!

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1VgQJMiNSaGyPUfM-mMAmVqG9mxnQaFcW
Later, rinsing off the surf boards in a huge outdoor shower, water straight from the river, I saw this. Making me think of sweet, sweet Simon. With plans to come back as the whole family :)

No comments:

Post a Comment