I love the common thread that emerges when you read all the books from one
author, each book deepening and informing the rest. The same seems to be true for
architecture. We were invited to spend the weekend in the cloud forest with
Damond and Freya and clan, and the house they rented turned out to be designed
by one of our favorite Panama architects, Patrick Dillon. He was also the
architect of the beach platform house we love so much in Rio Mar [but later I learned it was actually Beth and Andrew Coates who spearheaded the design for the Rio Mar platforms!]. And Biff and
Chimene's 'Bird House' in Gamboa. And even our new Gamboa Laboratory (though
something went awry in that contract; it was started by Patrick Dillon but completed by
another firm). The more I see of these designs the more I love their common
themes - a fluidity between indoor and outdoor space, combinations of basic,
simple materials - reclaimed wood (from the old Canal Zone buildings) and large
beautiful slabs of concrete. Huge expansive views. Big open spaces, inside and
out. This one was our favorite yet.
A reflecting pool. A vista of mountains. The constant gentle roar of the two nearby rivers.



No comments:
Post a Comment