The challenges seem to keep ratcheting up. I had just said goodbye to my French intern Louise, who - even with borders closed - managed to get on a humanitarian flight home to Paris. Gregg and I were talking in the 183 parking lot in Gamboa and heard a loud rumbling sound - like an explosion or thunder. Yackse came out a few minutes later, with these pictures, already circulating on whatsapp. What we had heard was a tanker had colliding with the Gamboa bridge.
Completely taking out the railway line at that point. And with it, Gamboa's water supply.
There was quite a lot of anger in Gamboa initially, because ACP, the Autoridad del Canal de Panamá, tweeted that the railroad was disrupted but that the residents of Gamboa were unaffected. However, having an entire town without running water for the indefinite future seems like a pretty large effect. Lots of community chat about ACP not wanting to accept responsibility for this accident, because that would mean taking on the costs of the repair work. Thankfully we received a new message from ACP a little later. They acknowledged the effect of the boat collision on the residents of Gamboa, they said could not give an estimate on when we'll have water again, but they will work on it. I'm doubtful it will be quick. Three days later I finally saw three workers approach the damaged bridge with surveying equipment. Otherwise the area seems to be completely quiet....45 days seems to be the estimate right now.

No comments:
Post a Comment