Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Pirate Party

First year birthdays are big events in Panama. Beth and Andrew have been living in Gamboa 7 years, and took this sentiment to heart. We received a custom invitation (addressed to "Crimson Curls Gwendolyn") to a boat in the Pacific.

After short trip into the harbor on a jetty manned by pirates, we boarded a larger boat and encountered the birthday boy himself: here's Alistair, age 1.

Gwendolyn was fully entranced.

Steering the boat.

Consorting with her friend Freya.

And observing the piƱata-attacking craziness from a safe perch with Helene and Eric.

David and I came in costume too.

Here are the Wren and I posing in front of the Bridge of the Americas.

And here's David, sporting the one-eyed sunglasses version of a pirate's patch.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing! I'm glad Gwenie's past that 1st b'day party gala thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with you Taisie. Thankfully we had Wren's 1st birthday in Bulgaria, where apparently the tradition is for the parents to do nothing, but rather for the party to be thrown by three handsome bachelors (preferably scientists). :-) The other really big birthday party in Panama is at age 15 (for girls, anyway - the so-called QuinceaƱera). We'd better start saving up for that one.

    ReplyDelete